Thursday, September 2, 2010

Marburg, just a glance!

Today and yesterday I have been to Marburg! It is absolutely beautiful! I love it so much!
Although, Germany is kind of super cold! (by my standards at least!) Perhaps... it is around 50 degrees fahriegnheit and I need to wear a nice winter rain jacket and stuff when I go out! So perhaps not that cold but... for those of you who know me I love that hot weather!
But, the city, view and everything else really make up for it!
So Yesterday.
Yesterday I woke up bright and early! Haha, just kidding, I totally woke up around half past twelve, had some tea and went off to the city of Marburg!
It was beautiful! First, we went in the Marketplatz (market place) and waited until the tour began! The tour, mind you, was in all German and I could understand quite a bit of it! What I could not comprehend though... was who some of the historical figures were because I had never heard their names before! At the end I had managed to learn that this woman, Elizabeth, was basically an awesome lady who helped the poor and was cantonized as a saint (sankt) in the catholic church! (everyone really considers here a role-model in these parts!) I also understood that when people had no indoor plumbing they just through all that stuff out the window! it was, needless to say, a good time!
Later we went and bought a pretzel (bretzel.. in german) and well it was absolutely amazing! Different than the ones in new york city but still.. pretty awesome! (and better.. if i do say so myself!)
One thing too, I am really beginning to like is that the people I am with love to randomly stop for tea in the middle of the day! Tea break time! .... my favorite! (=

Then today.... was a busy day! We went and explored the Schloss! (the castle of marburg) and I got to see all the history and the fun stuff that surrounded it! It was a magnificient view that I just can not get over! mmm, everything here is so old and beautiful! Awesome.
After, we walked about the town, saw some art museums.... (which were cool. we saw old art in addition to some modern art!) After that I went and explored the town alone for a little while! So many pretty shops and all the people had stuff outside too! People also played instruments, sang along with it, sat down in parks and chilled with their friends. It is really a very different mood than it is in the U.S. (at least I think!)
Random stuff!
1. People are super serious about the enviornment! Composting and everything!
2. I feel like they eat a little later than my family does in the US. (7/8 or so)
3. Tea & Coffee = daily must

Anyways! Tomorrow I get to visit a school with Günter and see what is all going on there and then later... well, not sure!
As they say in germany... bis später!
Libby!

No comments:

Post a Comment